Connect with us

News

FG extends this phase of lockdown by 4 weeks.

Published

on

The Nigerian government on Thursday, August 6, announced another four weeks extension of the second phase of the eased COVID-19 lockdown.

The announcement was made during a briefing in Abuja by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha who also serves as the chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, The Nation reported. Mustapha said the extension of the current ease of lockdown was approved by President Muhammadu Buhari after the COVID-19 task force on Wednesday, August 5, briefed him about the progress made so far in containing the spread the disease. He said under the revised guidelines of the eased lockdown which will be maintained in the next four weeks, the current nationwide curfew from 10pm- 6am still stands. The SGF urged Nigerians to act responsibly by taking steps to prevent contracting and spreading COVID-19.

He also called on citizens to stop stigmatising people who have contracted, been treated, and have been certified negative for COVID-19. Meanwhile, Nigeria is gradually inching towards recording 50,000 cases of Covid-19 as the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced 457 new cases on Wednesday evening, August 5. The new cases were recorded in 21 states, including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), with Lagos, Abuja and Plateau state occupying the top three spots. The federal health agency announced the new cases via its official Twitter handle. Lagos state which is Nigeria’s epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic has 137 cases, FCT has 76 while Plateau state has 40. With the new cases, Nigeria now has 44,890 confirmed cases, 32,165 recoveries and 927 deaths. In another report, an Abuja-based lawyer, Damilare Ojo, has narrated his coronavirus experience and how he got infected. He said following the rise in Covid-19 cases, he became more conscious of his environment. However, when lockdown became extended by another two weeks, the lawyer added that he lost belief in the numbers put out by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), The Nation reported.

Damilare said that his lack of belief in the disease was partly caused by the fact that he did not know anyone who had been affected.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

ASUU chapters at loggerheads after FG offer to end 8-month strike.

Published

on

By

The controversy generated by the ongoing strike between the federal government and the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is yet to abate despite the pleas from Nigerians.

The Nation reports that some branches of ASUU were divided over whether to accept the federal government’s offer and call off their eight-month-old strike. Legit.ng gathered that the union would harmonise the positions of zones and branches at a meeting in Abuja on Friday, November 27. The minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige, addressing the leadership of ASUU in Abuja over the strike. The report said while some branches insisted that the government must meet all the demands before the strike is called off, the union may put the decision to a vote. It was learnt that the Ahmadu Bello University branch agreed with the government on the N40 billion Earned Academic Allowance (EAA).

The branch, however, called for payment of the allowance before the strike will be called off. The newspaper noted that the lecturers at the Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Delta state, said negotiations with the federal government must be concluded before the strike is called off. The chairman of ASUU at the university, Ezekiel Agbalagba, said the congress on Wednesday, November 25, accepted the EAA, but rejected the N25 billion for the revitalisation of the varsities.

He said:

“We are willing to suspend the strike, but some of those contending issues should be thrashed and thrashed once.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the authority of the University of Calabar (UNICAL) directed all non-teaching staff of the institution to resume work on Friday, November 27, with cutlasses, hoes, brooms, and buckets to clear overgrown grass, sweep offices as well as keep the environment clean.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Continue Reading

Trending