Connect with us

Entertainment

Covid19: Organisers cancel ballon d’or 2020.

Published

on

The Ballon d’Or will not be awarded this year due to the extraordinary conditions created by the coronavirus pandemic, organisers France Football announced on Monday.

It will be the first time the trophy given for the world’s best men’s footballer has not been awarded since Englishman Stanley Matthews won the inaugural edition in 1956. “There will be no edition in 2020, because it turns out, after thoughtful consideration, that all the conditions are not met,” said Pascal Ferre, the editor of the magazine.

The COVID-19 outbreak saw all major football leagues shut down in March, with the German Bundesliga the first to resume behind closed doors in May.

 

France Football said it would be unfair to vote on the world’s best player when some leagues, including the French Ligue 1, cancelled their seasons early.

 

Ferre also suggested that it would not be right to judge players based on games played without spectators present.

 

“We believe that such a singular year cannot… be treated as an ordinary year,” he added.

 

“Two months (January and February), out of the eleven generally required to form an opinion and decide who should lift the trophies, represent far too little to gauge and judge, without forgetting that the other games were played –- or will be played –- in unusual conditions (behind closed doors, with five replacements, Champions League’s Final 8 played in a single game).”

 

Lionel Messi won a record-breaking sixth Ballon d’Or last year.

 

The women’s Ballon d’Or, which was first awarded in 2018, has also been cancelled.

 

 

 

France Football added that it was looking forward to holding a ceremony in 2021, but that this year it would instead organise a vote for the all-time greatest men’s XI.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Entertainment

Miley Cyrus announces release date for her new album.

Published

on

By

Miley Cyrus recently announced her new album Plastic Hearts and it has taken over social media. This album is super personal and pays tribute to some of her biggest music inspirations.

Announcing the new album, Miley revealed that it would drop on November 27, 2020. Miley has paid tribute to the likes of Blondie and the Cranberries on this album as well as many issues that fall close to home, like the 2018 California wildfires. Taking to social media to make the announcement, Miley expressed the emotion and rawness behind this album. Miley sent some mad love out to her fans for making this album and her entire career possible. Reading this post reflects all that Miley has put into this album and gives fans the opportunity to understand and appreciate the process that much more. I began this album over 2 years ago. Thought I had it all figured out. Nature did what I now see as a favour and destroyed what I couldn’t let go of for myself. I lost my house in a fire but found myself in its ashes.

In triumph and gratitude, I present to you my 7th studio record, Plastic Hearts. To be released Nov. 27th 2020.”

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Continue Reading

Trending