Connect with us

Sport

#Sports: Indian Athlete Singh, dies at 95

Published

on

       Balbir Singh, who won three Olympic hockey golds for India and became one of his country’s biggest sporting heroes, has died at the age of 95, his family said Monday.

     Singh was in teams that won the Olympic title in London in 1948 and Helsinki in 1952 and led the side that won in Melbourne in 1956. His five goals in the 6-1 defeat of the Netherlands in 1952 remain a record for an Olympic final. India beat the former colonial power Great Britain 4-0 in the 1948 final which came only a few months after his country’s troubled independence. Singh scored two of India’s goals at Wembley stadium and became one of the biggest stars of the Games. “I was on top of the world,” he said. “It was very special to beat the former rulers in their country.”

        Singh was also the manager of the Indian side that won the 1975 World Cup. “He was a hard taskmaster,” said Ajit Pal Singh, who was captain of the 1975 team. “I still remember how he imbibed, self-belief and unity which helped us to win,” Pal Singh told Press Trust of India news agency. Singh was one of the key figures in India’s golden era of hockey dominance. The men’s team have not won an Olympic title since their eighth gold at the 1980 Moscow Games.

       Singh had been in hospital after suffering three heart attacks in recent weeks.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sport

Uk government to allow 1000 fans to watch Anthony vs Pulev fight at wembley stadium

Published

on

By

One thousand fans will be allowed to watch the coming boxing big battle between English and Nigeria star Anthony Joshua and Bulgarian opponent Kubrat Pulev.

This will be the first time this year that the United Kingdom government will be allowing fans into the stadium since March due to the serious disturbance of deadly COVID-19. Coronavirus disturbed virtually all sporting activities in England and the rest of the world as the Premier League games was also stopped for three months. And since the return of football in England and other parts of the world, the English government are still locking all stadiums so as to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Anthony Joshua will be putting his heavyweight titles on the line against Kubrat Pulev in a duel that will come up on December 12.

According to the report on Daily Mail, PDC chairman Barry Hearn explained that he is waiting for more information from the UK government. ‘We are geared up for fans to come back. If they give me 1,000 I will be over the moon but we waiting on more information from the government and health authorities. ‘We have got the AJ fight coming up as well without a ticketing agency, but believe you me we are standing by and waiting to press a big red button on my desk.” Anthony Joshua’s last professional fight was against Andy Ruiz and the 31-year-old did well to beat the Mexican and collected his titles back

One thousand fans will be allowed to watch the coming boxing big battle between English and Nigeria star Anthony Joshua and Bulgarian opponent Kubrat Pulev.

 

 

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Continue Reading

Trending