Connect with us

News

DSS to pay N10m to man detained for buying Buhari’s daughter’s previous SIM card

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Asaba, Delta state, on Thursday ordered the Department of State Services (DSS) to pay N10 million to Anthony Okolie for 10 weeks illegal detention without charge.

Okolie was arrested in July 2019 in Asaba for using a SIM card which had previously been used by President Buhari’s daughter, Hanan.

Okolie subsequently sued DSS, MTN and Hanan, after his release, demanding compensation of 500 million naira for the violation of his rights.

On July 19, 2019, Okolie, an Asaba-based businessman, was arrested by the DSS and detained for using a SIM card that was previously owned by Hanan.

According to him, he remained in custody, bound by handcuffs till September 22, 2019- a period of 10 weeks, without any charge as the DSS waited for Hanan who was schooling in the UK as at the time.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Sanwo-olu finally shuts down Lagos schools amidst protest.

Published

on

By

The Lagos state government has directed all pupils and students in public and private schools to stay at home following the tension generated by the #EndSARS protests.

The Nation reports that the state commissioner for education, Folasade Adefisayo, who issued the directive, said the safety of the pupils/students, parents, and all staff working in schools was paramount “at this critical period.” Legit.ng gathered that she, however, advised parents to keep an eye on their wards and not allow them to be used as willing tools in the hands of those who might want to hijack the protests to unleash mayhem on the society. The commissioner also encouraged schools to utilise other means of distance teaching and learning such as radio, television and online media as they have been doing during and post COVID-19 lockdown. Adefisayo said that a new date of resumption for all classes would be announced as soon as possible. Legit.ng had earlier reported that all secondary and primary schools including tertiary institutions in Lagos may be shut down by the state government if the demonstrations by the EndSARS protesters continue.

Nigerian Tribune had reported that the government said that the measure would be taken to ensure the safety of the students and the school workers. The newspaper had said that the head of the public affairs unit of the state’s ministry of education, Kayode Abayomi, confirmed it in an exclusive interview in the evening on Monday, October 19. He said the idea was conceived by the state’s ministry of education and already sold to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu for consideration and approval. He said the closure would start the moment the approval is given.

Abayomi said:

“So, we are waiting for Mr governor for approval.” He explained that the ministry would not want to put the lives of students and school workers in danger. He said the dimension of the #EndSARs protest especially in the state as it is becoming more intense each day warranted the move.

He said if the approval is given, the students would be home until normalcy return to the state and the country by extension.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Continue Reading

Trending