Connect with us

News

#Updated: Akwa Ibom And Borno States Records First Deaths From Covid19.

Published

on

Two new deaths have been recorded from coronavirus in Akwa Ibom and Borno states on Sunday.The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control made this known on its website. According to data from the NCDC, with the two new fatalities, no fewer than 21 persons have died from coronavirus-related complications in Nigeria.

Other states that have recorded fatalities from COVID-19 are Lagos – 13, one each in Edo, Katsina, Kano, and Delta, and Abuja – two.The NCDC added, “On the 19th of April 2020, 86 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Nigeria.“Till date, 627 cases have been confirmed, 170 cases have been discharged and twenty-one deaths have been recorded in Nigeria”.

The 86 new cases are reported from seven states- Lagos (70), FCT (seven), Akwa Ibom (three), Katsina (three), Borno (one), Bauchi (one), Jigawa (one). A multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre, activated at Level three, continues to coordinate the national response activities.

Before the NCDC’s announcement, the Borno State Government said it was expecting the test result of a dead nurse working with MSF in Pulka, Gwoza Local Government Area.The PUNCH reports that Abba Kyari, the Chief of staff to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), is one of the 21 deaths of COVID-19 recorded in Nigeria.

The late CoS had tested positive to the ravaging COVID-19 and moved to a private facility in Lagos, where he died on Friday, April 17. Kyari tested positive for coronavirus in late March after visiting Germany, forcing a string of top Nigerian officials, including governors who had been in contact with him to self-isolate.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Lai Mohammed calls for regulation of social media.

Published

on

By

The minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Tuesday, October 27 said that the nation is sitting on a keg of gun powder regarding the issue of fake news, hence the need for the federal government to immediately begin to regulate the social media space.

The minister stated this while responding to questions from federal lawmakers when he appeared before the House of Representatives committee on information, national orientation, ethics and values.Alhaji Lai Mohammed has continued his advocacy for social media regulation. Alhaji Mohammed made reference to the recent #ENDSARS protest, saying that it was fought on social media.

His words:

“They mobilised using social media. The war today revolves around two things. Smart phones and data and these young men don’t even watch television or listen to the radio or read newspapers. “We are sitting on a time bomb on this issue of fake news. Unfortunately, we have no national policy on social media and we need one. The minister’s latest comments is expected to spark reactions across the country as young Nigerians have been warning against government’s alleged plans to gag them on social media.

The authorities have promised that they don’t intend to completely shut down social media in the country, but the distrust between government and the led in Nigeria has been that of mutual suspicion.

0 Users (0 votes)
Criterion 10
What people say... Leave your rating
Sort by:

Be the first to leave a review.

User Avatar
Verified
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment | nl2br}}}

Show more
{{ pageNumber+1 }}
Leave your rating

Your browser does not support images upload. Please choose a modern one

Continue Reading

Trending